I was originally taught this recipe by a friend when I lived in Italy for three years. His recipe was the traditional one, but over the years I started cooking it in my own way to simplify it. This is the bolognese I use for my lasagnes, penne and spaghetti, practically any dish that calls for a tomato sauce based dish. This is the basic bolognese, but you can add any other vegetables you like such as mushrooms, celery and potatoes.
Here are all the ingredients for the sauce
Love the colour in this dish
In go the tomatoes straight from the blender!
Here it is, a dark and rich sauce!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 600g beef mince
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- ¼ cup green capsicum
- ¼ cup yellow capsicum
- ¼ cup red capsicum
- 1 tablespoon garlic parsley paste
- ½ to 1 tablespoon of salt (depending on your tastes)
- 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
- 3 400g can of whole peeled tomatoes
- Preheat the saucepan on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- When the oil heats up, add the meat to the saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up any remaining lumps in the meat.
- When the meat is cooked, add the garlic parsley paste, salt, onion, carrots and capsicum. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring to make sure the sauce cooks evenly.
- While the vegetables are cooking, place the 3 cans of peeled tomatoes in the blender for 30 seconds. Add this mixture to the sauce pan with the BBQ sauce stir and place lid on the saucepan. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom on the saucepan.